Pages

24.2.11

Of Shaving Cream and Spiders.

I didn't expect this morning I'd choke on my tea, but then it happened and I had to pass along the feeling to the rest of the world (if you don't drink tea then choke on something else for me?). I discovered this example of us evolving into spineless jelly-heads. ASA Withdraws "Cruel" Spider Ad.

Basically the tl;dr of it is the SPCA have asked the advertisement to be withdrawn because when a little girl's family freaks out over a spider and she calms the situation by researching spider disposal techniques on her phone before spraying shaving cream over it, it's considered cruel and unusual. What's cruel and unusual is how I butchered my English to get all that out in a single sentence.

Not getting a job as a graphic artist anytime soon.
When is enough political correctness enough? How long until the line is drawn? I shit you not when I say I expect to hear about some watchdog group fighting for the rights of office ferns in the future. I can see it now, "We feel the office fern is being unfairly kept indoors and exploited for a quick breath of oxygen!" I can imagine the SPCA PR team are pretty bored unless it's their version of Christmas (November 5; Guy Fawkes Day). What next, lobby against Doom/Raid? Fighting for the rights of sewer rats, locusts, mosquitoes?


To be fair there should be balance I don't dispute that, but it's hard not to see hidden agendas when this kind of story comes around. Perhaps this ridiculous action generates donations and publicity? It wouldn't be the first time someone acted like a total tosser in public to gain attention for a legit cause...this week.

It's almost as if watchdog groups are in a race with others to see who can become more human faster. There is a difference between being humane, being human and being a complete whack job. Humane is being compassionate and caring towards others, human is the state of being we share as a species (you can't be more or less human unless you are genetically altered that way) and being a complete whack job is complaining that disposing of spiders is cruel and unusual and that the insect is somehow self-aware (science so far shows no evidence that spiders are self aware thank God).

I am not against the SPCA or PETA any of these organizations, but I just wish they would stop to think about where their responsibilities end and us as informed responsible adults begin. As a sign of support I will put this really funny ad up from the SPCA.


Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your opinion too, we'll pick up the tab.