Pages

28.2.11

Yuppies in Government

I walk into the room, nervous as hell. What if they don't like my idea? What if I was wrong and my concept is out of touch? "So I hear you're going to pitch something to us today?" The producers stare at me expecting my best Nolan-esque concept. So I start. "I want you to give me a lot of money, like A LOT. I'll fly shallow people around to world to places like Monaco and Paris and show off fancy houses no one normal will ever afford. I'll use an entire episodes budget on the host's suit and profile ridiculously rich and wannabe famous people."


"Get to grips with hair extensions." Really?

That's how I imagine things went down when Top Billing was pitched to the SABC; they went for it. In the world of the current economic crisis we still have this show and while it might have been a nice distraction in the world of ten years ago, it comes across today as being ever so slightly insensitive. One episode's budget of Top Billing could probably provide a large informal settlement with water for a year. Not that it's their responsibility to do that, theirs extends only to rubbing their wealth into all of our faces.

All jokes aside, Dr.Michael Mol is king of the douches.
Let me share a thought with you. Let's say you suddenly had access to R1 Billion or so and had no idea how to properly use it. Let's say you were of average intelligence, but didn't comprehend how interest, taxes or investment banking worked. Let's say you were Julius Malema and all of the above applied. What would be the biggest influence on your new found lifestyle?

An oldie but a goodie.


Now I'm certainly not implying Top Billing is the sole reason for our government's ill spending of tax payers money, but come on it's certainly worth speculating over! Top Billing is an SABC show and the SABC is an extension of the government! Get out your foil hats people. Yet the show only seems to be getting bigger and bigger. We now have a Top Billing type morning show, called Expresso, so you can wake up to Yuppies telling you how wealthy they are while arriving at the J&B Met in a diamond crested helicopter. We also have the Top Billing magazine for people who thought they could avoid self-important capitalists by not watching television.

What I'm saying here is not going to have any effect, but I just wish the producers of Top Billing would realize we're living in a country whose biggest concern isn't what model BMW Danny K is driving, but if they'll have food on their plate that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your opinion too, we'll pick up the tab.