Pages

2.3.11

The Lulz - Part One

Let me tell you a story, a story with no face or name or discernible origin. It started in many places at different times with many versions contradicting and harmonizing at the same time. I'm going to tell you about Anonymous.

Those of you who know OF Anonymous will be wondering, why would I stick it into the hornet's nest. Well honestly there's nothing to fear from Anonymous if you're not a complete moron because they're not after you, they're not after me. They are after the lulz, but above all else freedom to lulz. Which is similar in a lot of ways to freedom of speech. If I do get hit by anonymous for this post, it'll be for the lulz and I can understand the humor in that.

Here is a quick summery according to FOX News (fear mongering much?).


So what is Anonymous? If you've NEVER heard of them before, they could be everyone and anyone on the internet without an identity. If you use IRC or any forum, they could be anyone on there. Users with no concrete identification are "Anons" and have the power to close the pool, done goof and commit over 9000 sins. It's similar to the ideal behind Batman; if you are one identifiable man then you can be killed or corrupted, if you're an ideal or symbol they cannot stop you because the idea or symbolism will remain long after the single man. So coming back to the original question, what is Anonymous? The embodiment of chaotic freedom on the internet (chaotic good). The ideal that you should be able to log onto the internet and say, do or be anything you want. I'm sure I'm making them sound more romantic than they are, but you get the picture.

The flag chosen to represent Anonymous.


Anonymous started small, griefing (to purposefully frustrate) a teen social website called Habbo Hotel, blocking off access to the "pool" in that chat room proclaiming "Pools closed due to AIDS." Coincidently a few months later a real incident occurred when a 2 year old boy affected with AIDS was banned from a water park in Alabama; I'll allow you to draw your own opinions on that. Since that small movement, I believe even Anonymous was surprised at how easy it was to mobilize a force on the internet and since then have been fighting bigger and bigger targets, for the lulz (more on that later).

Pool's Closed due to Aids.

I don't want to bore you further if you are bored already so I'll end the blog there. Join me tomorrow as I wrap up this two part blog on Anonymous.

3 comments:

  1. If I was an Anonymous, I'd run naked through the streets shouting it ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i was younger I always use to think that ‘Anon’ must have been the most popular writer ever as he was quoted so much. Lul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aids is the best invention by man ever. Llul

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your opinion too, we'll pick up the tab.