Pages

27.5.11

Counterbalance

I've been thinking about duality a lot lately; do we accept it in ourselves and all things, do we fight it and try to control or do we just acknowledge it's existence but ignore it otherwise?


Okay getting ahead of myself here. What exactly am I talking about when I say duality? It's a theme that's come up quite a bit in recent blogs. Head versus heart, good versus evil, religion versus science, hope versus resolve. For me duality is two forces countering each other. You know in your head that last tequila will destroy you, but you'll have it anyway because your personality/soul/spirit (pick your force) wants to have a good time.


I was under the impression that these moments where we know one thing, but do another was a sign of indecisive behavior. I am not the kind of guy who likes being indecisive, I don't like half measures if I can help it so it would irritate me. Up until recently I foresaw my path in front of me, I didn't need to be in two minds. These days so many decisions get thrown under my nose it's hard to keep up and the more decisions you have, the more likely you are to make one that you regret.

Must've looked like a good idea at the time.
At least that is how I felt. Today, I'm embracing duality. For someone like me, who values balance with resolve (which totally doesn't contradict my distaste for half-measure...that's a tale for another day though), how can I know I'm on the right path if I don't have choices. Sure I may make some regrettable mistakes, but the fact they are regrettable must reveal something to me. How would any of us know how good ice-cream tastes if all we ever ate was bread? How would any of us know not to roll in poison ivy unless some poor schmuck decided it would be a good idea and tried it?

Perfectly stable human being. :P
In a world that will eventually rely on compromise to survive, some tough choices will be presented to us all. If we don't embrace the mistakes we will make to get to a point where we know right from wrong, then we will shrivel up and die as those around jump feet first into their lives.

Fearing regret can only perpetuate regret in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your opinion too, we'll pick up the tab.