Pages

17.5.11

Cake Nazis (Can I say Nazis?)

You ever been in two minds about something? This cake or that cake, hmmm. Both cakes look so good, but you can only choose one; the cake Nazi is standing by to fry the cake you don't eat. Bad example? Probably, but the point remains. Whether the decision is trivial or one that can ultimately change your life, it's not a fun place to be.
I actually found a picture of a Nazi cake!?
I have a very real cake decision to make and I'm at odds with myself. I should drop this cake thing. Let's say a decision that concerns both your heart and your mind needs to be made. You want to follow your heart, in this case heart is the compassionate caring for others side of things. You also want to follow your head, the logical self-preservation side of things. You follow your heart, you could do a lot of good in someone's life and the pay off will come about later when you can be proud of yourself. You follow your head, you save yourself from a lot of emotional complications and you do what's best for you.

The problem is both decisions might have very real life-long implications starting now, but you can only choose one path. Scientifically speaking, proven by psychology, they say the complex decisions in life should be made by the gut and not by a logical decision because the result is almost always more positive for the decision maker. Problem is, I can't actually identify what my gut is telling me because I want both outcomes.

"You can't always get what you want, but if your try sometimes; well you might find, you get what you need."
-Grand Philosopher Jagger.

So what decision am I going to make? Well, for now the best decision I can make is to not make one at all. I'm going to take a step back, gain some perspective, take a break, breathe in and out, center myself, do a backflip, party hard, spoil myself, then stop...and trick myself into a gut decision when I least expect it.

Force my impulse to do something useful for a change.

2 comments:

  1. If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
    -- Rush, a group of great philosophers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your opinion too, we'll pick up the tab.